Pets killed in garage blaze
A CAGED talking parakeet has died with other pet birds and rodents after a blaze broke out in a pub garage.Eight firefighters from Manningtree were called to the Strangers Home Inn in Bradfield when an electrical fire started in an outbuilding where a large collection of exotic pets was being housed.
A CAGED talking parakeet has died with other pet birds and rodents after a blaze broke out in a pub garage.
Eight firefighters from Manningtree were called to the Strangers Home Inn in Bradfield when an electrical fire started in an outbuilding where a large collection of exotic pets was being housed.
Fire crews found dozens of parakeets, budgies, finches, tortoises,
chinchilla-type rodents, rabbits and other exotic birds which were unable to escape the smoke and suffocated in their small cages.
You may also want to watch:
They managed to save the rabbits and some of the other wingless creatures, but all the birds perished in the fire, which started at around 2.30pm on Thursday while the pub was closed.
Landlords Bob and Linda Dale have kept animals in the grounds for about three years because they said they were a visitor attraction for customers at the inn and also from the campsite, which they also run.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
Mrs Dale said: “Initially it was really dangerous, but there was nothing we could do to help the animals.
“The firemen were brilliant - they managed to save at least half of them so kids and other people will still be able to come and visit.
“The birds were being kept inside away from their aviary for the winter and that's where we've now put the rabbits while we find somewhere else.
“One of the parakeets was particularly special because it could talk, but unfortunately it died and that's upset us quite a bit.
“We've had the vets check out the survivors and they've been given a clean bill of health. The rabbits have been given a good bath because they were covered in soot and now they're OK.”
Manningtree station sub-officer Quentin Sage said: “Quite a few of the birds died, but we rescued most of the other animals. There was a lot of smoke and it got quite scary at one point when we found live cables.”
The crews brought the fire under control by 3.30pm.