Nostalgia: A look back at Framlingham Gala 1979
- Credit: Archant
It’s been Framlingham’s main community celebration and a big attraction for more than 100 years and is still going strong today.
Framlingham Gala dates back to the 1880s providing great fun for all ages and raising money for the town’s sports facilities.
As well as a range of entertainment, car boot sale and craft fair, its traditional highlights are the funfair and a colourful parade through the town.
Back in 1979, as these photos show, groups across the town turned out to take part in the procession – many in fancy dress.
Last year the event was relaunched as a three-day event called Framlingham Gala Fest with the aim to have a new theme each year to make the weekend bright, full of energy, colour and music with something for all the family.
You may also want to watch:
Do you recognise anyone in our gallery or did you attend the event in 1979? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to share your memories.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 5 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 6 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 9 Hadleigh dad fights to reverse diabetes diagnosis
- 10 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k