Picture update: Apache crash lands in field
A MILITARY crew were last night forced to make an emergency landing in a field near Wherstead after the apache they were in clipped power lines.
Neither of the two crew members, from Wattisham airfield, were injured when the aircraft came down at 10.30pm.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “We can confirm an incident has occurred involving an aircraft from Wattisham.”
MoD personnel were last night examining the aircraft to assess the extent of the damage meanwhile engineers from UK Power Networks were dispatched to nearby Lawford to inspect electricity equipment.
Speaking last night a spokesman from the power company said: “We received a report from police at 11.02pm that a helicopter had come into contact with overhead power lines.
You may also want to watch:
“Our engineers are currently on site and have established that a 132,000 volt overhead power line has been damaged.
“This interrupted power supplies to 373 customers, and others across a wider area would have had a flickering supply for a few seconds which then returned to normal.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
- 7 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 8 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 9 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
“We will be liaising with the authorities on site, arranging repairs to the electricity network and restoring power supplies as quickly as is safely possible.”
A spokeswoman for UK Power Networks said this morning: “Engineers have restored power to the majority of customers who lost power in the Tattingstone and Lawford areas last night, due a helicopter damaging overhead power lines.
“Most supplies were restored by about midnight, and more during the early hours of today. Engineers are working to restore power to the final 14 customers who are off supply and repair work continues on site.”
- Did you see what happened? Call the newsdesk on 01473 324788.