Long delays after ‘pile-up’ on A12
- Credit: Archant
A multi-car crash is causing long delays on the A12 heading towards Ipswich.
The crash took place on the northbound carriageway of the A12 at junction 22 at Witham shortly after 6.30pm and cars are currently blocking the outside lane of the road.
Essex police are on the scene and are advising drivers to avoid the area if possible or allow at least an extra 30 minutes for their journey.
Highways England have also advised motorists to expect long delays while the incident is dealt with and suggest that it may be some time before the area has been cleared.
Cars are now queuing back past junction 21 with the B1389, shortly before Witham.
An earlier broken down vehicle on the slip road has now been cleared.
Passers by described the incident as a pile up, saying that at least five cars were involved in the incident, however there has been no confirmation of the number of vehicles from the police.
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 3 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 4 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
- 5 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
- 6 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 7 20th century former light railway station to be converted into properties
- 8 The Secrets of Dunwich: East Anglia's lost capital
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 North Stander: Now we can win ugly, and that's so important