US military planes from two Suffolk bases join in combat exercise
- Credit: 48th Fighter Wing Public Affairs
If you look to the skies over Suffolk, you could spot US air force planes from RAF Lakenheath and Mildenhall taking part in a military exercise.
The exercise, named Valiant Liberty, will involve limited low-level and night flying, and is due to run until March 13.
A spokesman for the 48th Fighter Wing, based at RAF Lakenheath, said flying over the area around the bases is not expected after 10pm each night, but added: "All our jets will be flying from Lakenheath and Mildenhall, so people will see a lot more activity over the next two weeks."
The agile combat employment exercise also involves US forces from the 100th Air Refueling Wing, based at RAF Mildenhall, as well as the 352nd Special Operations Wing, 21st Special Tactics Squadron and 548th Combat Training Squadron.
Integrated UK Special Operations Forces and Joint Forward Air Controller Training Standards Unit are also taking part in the exercise.
RAF Lakenheath said in a statement: "Agile combat employment exercises allow US and allied forces to deter, defend and win across the spectrum of conflict. Exercises and deployments that utilise ACE concepts ensure forces in Europe are ready to protect and defend partners, allies and US interests at a moment's notice, and generate lethal combat power should deterrence fail."
The statement said overland flying will be limited to the areas of Holbeach, Sculthorpe, Muckleburgh and the Stanford training area as far as possible, adding that all training will be conducted in accordance with Ministry of Defence and UK airspace regulations.
- 1 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 2 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Look inside: Stunning £3m home is most expensive on market in Suffolk
- 9 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
If you have any concerns relating to the aircraft flying, email MOD at SWKfirstname.lastname@example.org