Man arrested on suspicion of arson following police car fires
- Credit: HELEN DENYER
A 62-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire where two police cars were set alight outside Harwich Police Station.
The vehicles caught fire shortly before 10.55am Tuesday, April 21, while parked at the station in Main Road.
Both vehicles sustained “significant” damage during the fires, which police now believe was started deliberately.
Surrounding roads were closed while firefighters tackled the flames, which were extinguished in the early afternoon.
A 62-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of arson shortly after and remains in police custody.
You may also want to watch:
A police cordon remains in the area and police are continuing to ask members of the public to avoid the area.
Anyone with any information which may aid Essex Police in their investigation, or has CCTV or dash cam footage, is asked to contact them on 101, quoting incident 272 of Tuesday, April 21
Alternatively, Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555111, or via their website.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 4 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 6 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 9 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
- 10 Four miles of queues after A12 collision