Police confirm missing Gorleston student Sophie Smith left a note outlining her intentions
- Credit: Archant
Police searching for a missing 21-year-old student from Gorleston have confirmed she left a note to her family outlining her intentions.
Sophie Smith, who was reported missing on Boxing Day, had been suffering from severe anxiety and depression, which she had openly discussed with her close family and friends who were supporting her.
She had also been receiving treatment for her mental health.
Inspector Will Drummond said: “We know from speaking to her family that Sophie had previously spoken about her intention to enter the sea to take her own life. Sadly, we can also confirm that Sophie had left a note and messages for loved ones, outlining her intentions.”
Police launched a search after she was reported missing, which included air and coast searches along the Suffolk coastline in Southwold and Lowestoft, as well as searches by lowland rescue teams.
She was last seen on a CCTV image from 3am on Boxing Day running in the direction of the beach.
Sophie’s mother, Lynn Shaw, said: “Sophie’s step-father Kevin and I would like to thank the public and police for their continued support and dedication in searching for Sophie.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 3 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 4 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 5 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 6 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 9 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 10 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
“In our hearts we hold every hope she will return safe and well. However, as a family, knowing the troubles she was experiencing, we do fear the worst for our little girl.
“Sophie had openly discussed how she was struggling and was receiving treatment. I would urge anyone suffering anxiety or depression not to fight that battle alone and seek help.”