Police drop teen rape allegation probe

POLICE have dropped a rape investigation after it emerged a 15-year-old girl had not been subjected to “any form of attack”.

An investigation was launched after the girl was allegedly raped during a post-exam party attended by more than 100 teenagers.

The girl was found in a distressed state on Hardwick Heath, in Bury St Edmunds, shortly after 10pm last Friday.

She was taken to the West Suffolk Hospital, in Bury.

Police have now stated that no rape or attack had taken place.


You may also want to watch:


A spokeswoman for the police said the investigation had been “thorough” and that there was “no longer any evidence to suggest that the 15-year-old” had been “raped or was subject to any form of attack”.

The spokeswoman added: “The female is unable to recall the whole evening, and following initial inquiries a rape investigation was launched.

Most Read

“The female has co-operated fully with the investigation team and the circumstances that gave rise to the investigation have been explained.”

Detective Inspector Steve Denham who led the investigation said: “Given the initial circumstances it was possible that an offence had been committed and we have a duty of care to any alleged victim to establish if this is the case.

“A robust investigation has fully explained the initial concerns and the female is very reassured by this.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus