Police hit out over violence at party

A FOOTBALL club has been slammed by police for failing to control a party on its premises which descended into anarchy and brawls.

A student party at Great Cornard Football Club was attended by a large number of school pupils last Wednesday night.

But what should have been a friendly occasion turned violent – with reports of a youngster being chased by a gang wielding a crowbar and more than a 100 “intoxicated” teenagers on the football pitch.

Police have launched an investigation into the violence in which one teenager suffered concussion and an injury to his left eye, requiring hospital treatment.

They have criticised the club for what happened – and the club’s licence could now be at risk following two serious incidents this year.

You may also want to watch:

In a statement, a police spokesman said: “This is not the first time police have received reports of large-scale disorder at the premises.

“On Friday, February 18, two males came to the police station to report being assaulted. When an officer attended there were, in fact, 11 people all wishing to report that they had been assaulted and caught up in a melee at the football club during a private party.”

Most Read

On the night of the student party police were called by a member of the public at 12.15am reporting that eight or nine males were chasing another male with a crowbar. According to the police report, when officers arrived they were met by more than 100 intoxicated teens on the football pitch.

The statement added: “Police spoke to staff at the football club who stated that the party had been kicking off all night. They, allegedly, stopped serving alcohol early on in the night due to the increasing number of problems they were having, but failed to advise police. Some of the teens said there were fights going on from 9pm and it was getting worse. Numerous other fights occurred in the area and the investigation into this incident is still ongoing with further victims coming forward all the time.”

When the incident was first reported in the EADT last Thursday the club’s chairman, Neil Cottrell, said he was unaware of anything going on at the club that night.

Mr Cottrell was unavailable for comment last night.

Sergeant Dan Connick, of Suffolk police, said officers wanted to hear from anyone who was at the party and were also keen to hear views of the public on the football club’s licence ahead of a review.

Anyone with information on the brawls should call police on 01284 774100. Anyone wanting to make representations on the football club’s licence should write to the Licensing Team, Babergh District Council, Corks Lane, Hadleigh, Suffolk IP7 6SJ, by May 16.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus