Plea for information after ‘cowardly and violent’ attack on teen
- Credit: Archant
Police officers are working overtime as part of the investigation into the death of 17-year-old Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, who investigators believe knew his attackers.
So far, five people – including two teenagers – have been arrested in connection with the incident in Packard Avenue shortly before 4.50pm on Saturday.
A 41-year-old man, from the Ipswich area, arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder on Saturday evening, remains in custody after police applied for a warrant of further detention from magistrates on Monday morning.
As a result of further enquiries, officers detained four more people in the Colchester area of Essex on Monday afternoon.
The four males, aged 16, 18, 20 and 22, who all have Ipswich links, were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder and brought to Suffolk for questioning.
You may also want to watch:
The victim, of Pownall Road, died after being taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment.
A post-mortem concluded that the cause of death was as a result of a single stab wound.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
He had been walking from the shops in Queen’s Way when approached and attacked by two males on bicycles. They were then joined by four to five other males who further assaulted him, before all the offenders fled the scene.
Superintendent Kerry Cutler said: “This was a cowardly and violent attack on a 17-year-old boy in daylight hours in the street.
“We believe it was targeted. We believe that Tavis would have known the people responsible.
“I strongly feel that people in the community will know who did this, and urge anybody with any information whatsoever to contact us.”
A police pod will remain in place this week, near the junction of Packard Avenue and King’s Way. Another mobile station will be set up in different locations around Ipswich.
Response officers and the area safer neighbourhood team are currently working 12-hour shifts.
Officers are appealing to anyone with CCTV, dash cam or mobile phone footage in the area of Queen’s Way, Packard Avenue, Rands Way or King’s Way, between 12pm and 7.45pm on Saturday.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the major investigation team by uploading information mipp.police.uk/operation/804, calling 101 and quoting reference 30192/18, or contacting Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.