Police renew appeal for information in Colchester stabbing investigation

A man and woman walking near The Grapes pub, Mersea Road at 7.01pm

A man and woman walking near The Grapes pub, Mersea Road at 7.01pm - Credit: Archant

New CCTV images have been released by police in a bid to find the person responsible for the “brutal attack” of a man in Colchester.

The 70-year-old victim was stabbed in the face, chest and back at about 5.40pm on November 10 in the rear garden of his home in Hythe Hill.

He was taken to hospital in a life-threatening condition.

He has since made a steady recovery and has been discharged from hospital. He is now being cared for by his family.

The suspect is described as a white man believed to be aged in his 30s and about 5ft 8ins tall, who wore camouflage trousers and a green top.


You may also want to watch:


It is believed he would have entered the garden from Port Lane and left the via same route.

He may have gone towards the Old Heath Recreation Ground or the A134.

Most Read

Detective Chief Inspector Marina Ericson said: “This was a brutal attack in which the victim suffered ten stab wounds. He had to undergo surgery and was placed in an induced coma during his hospital treatment.

“We have been making extensive enquiries as part of our investigation to identify the person responsible for this horrific incident and bring them to justice.

“We have been grateful for the public’s support so far in coming forward with information but we continue to need their help.

“We are now in a position to release a number of CCTV images of people who were in the Hythe Hill and Port Lane area at the time of the incident and might have seen what happened or have vital information.

“We are keen to speak to them and would ask that they get in touch.

“We would also ask their friends or relatives let us know who they are so that they can be eliminated from our enquiry.

“It is very important that we eliminate these people from our enquiry.”

Det Ch Insp Ericson said she was also keen to hear from anyone who was in the area between 4.30pm and 7.30pm on November 10 and saw anybody acting suspiciously.

“We remain open minded about the motive behind this attack and I would like to stress that incidents such as this remain extremely rare in Colchester,” she added.

“Neighbourhood officers and PCSOs, and Colchester Borough Council’s zone wardens, have been carrying out extra patrols to provide reassurance.

“We would encourage anyone with concerns or information about the attack to speak to local officers.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact detectives on 101 or email scdappeals@essex.pnn.police.uk

Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or www.crimestoppers-uk.org

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus