Teenager raises more than £1,600 with 12-hour relay race
- Credit: Heidi Bingham
A high school student from Onehouse has raised more than £1,600 for charity by hosting a 12-hour relay race around her village.
Poppy Bingham, a year 10 pupil at Stowmarket High School, was so inspired by the charity Suffolk Young Carers that she set herself a target of raising £500 to support them.
Poppy decided to raise the money after spending a day with the young carers at High Lodge in 2019.
The trip was organised with the help of The Lions club of Stowmarket and District, where Poppy’s dad is a member.
The carers she met were children over the age of five who do more than would usually be expected of a person their age, due to the long term condition of a family member.
You may also want to watch:
Poppy’s plan was to raise money for an even more exciting trip in 2020, but because of lockdown this never happened.
She carried on her fundraising and has ended with a grand total of £1,689.13.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Her fundraising efforts concluded on May Bank Holiday Monday, on the hottest day of the year, where she hosted a 12-hour running relay around her village of Onehouse with teams of family and friends to help.
Poppy clocked up an incredible 20.62 miles in total and the event was greatly supported by friends, family and residents who came and donated in exchange for refreshments.
Kev Parker, president of The Stowmarket Lions said “Poppy is certainly an inspiration to us all”.