Postmaster injured in PO raid
A POSTMASTER received a head injury after three men, including one wielding a sawn-off shotgun, raided a Suffolk post office.The robbers burst into the Botesdale post office just after 5pm yesterday and police say a confrontation took place.
A POSTMASTER received a head injury after three men, including one wielding a sawn-off shotgun, raided a Suffolk post office.
The robbers burst into the Botesdale post office just after 5pm yesterday and police say a confrontation took place.
During this, both the postmaster and one of the offenders suffered head injuries before the raiders fled with an undisclosed amount of cash.
Police were last night searching in the Rickinghall area, after their getaway car was found abandoned in a car park there.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokeswoman said: “A confrontation took place with the postmaster who was struck on the head. He received treatment at the scene from a paramedic for a three-centimetre gash to his head.
“It is possible that one of the offenders also had a head injury. During the confrontation, one of the offenders was struck on the head. The offenders seized a sum of money and left the property.”
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 10 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
She added: “Witnesses reported seeing four men leave the area in a dark-coloured Cavalier and head towards the A143.”
Police believe it may have been abandoned in a car park in Rickinghall a short time afterwards.
Detectives and scenes of crime officers were still at the post office late last night.
The post office is the latest in a number to be targeted by robbers in the region this year.
Raiders struck at Exning Road Post Office in Newmarket earlier this month.
Anyone with any information about the latest incident should call Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.