Praise for efforts of fire crews in cottage blaze drama
A COUPLE have praised the “fantastic” efforts of the fire service after a blaze tore through their 400-year-old thatched cottage.
The fire on Friday evening caused serious damage to St Ambrose Cottage, in Forward Green, near Stowmarket.
Ten fire appliances were involved in the operation as the flames ripped through the roof of the listed property, filling it with smoke.
Although firefighters managed to put out the fire and remove many of Brian and Barbara Page’s possessions, much of what was recovered was left badly smoke-damaged.
The couple, who are in their 60s and have five grown-up children, said they were just relieved that nobody had been hurt.
You may also want to watch:
The previous night their young grandson had been sleeping in an upstairs room that had been gutted by the flames, and Mrs Page said she was very relieved that only she and her husband had been at home when they noticed the flames.
She said: “The firemen were fantastic and got as much out as they possibly could. We were at home and Brian said it looked foggy outside but then we realised something was up, and went out and saw flames coming from the thatch.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 5 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 8 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 9 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
- 10 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
“It spread quite quickly – I’ve never seen anything go so quick. I am just glad it was only the two of us at home – no pets or children to get out of bed.”
She said that at times there were 80 firefighters battling the inferno that left the roof beams charred and the gables standing precariously.
One fire crew remained at the scene well into Saturday to ensure that the fire was completely extinguished and the area was safe.
Mrs Page said: “We have lived here for 30 years and never had a fire, not even a chimney fire. It’s sad. It’s a bit of history that’s gone.
“We even had the Salvation Army here during the fire, giving out coffee, tea and burgers. The neighbours have been fantastic and people we don’t even know have come and given us hugs.”
The couple will now stay in a mobile home at the site as they repair and restore the cottage once it is inspected by their insurers and made safe by builders.