Prodigy frontman Keith Flint found dead at his Essex home
- Credit: PA
Innovative rock star Keith Flint – lead singer with The Prodigy – has been found dead at the age of 49 in his home near Dunmow in Essex.
The Prodigy were one of the most innovative BritPop bands to emerge in the 1990s – and their best-known track, Firestarter, is regarded as a classic both for its music and the video made for it.
Police confirmed that a man aged 49 was found dead in Essex.
An Essex Police spokeswoman said: “We were called to concerns for the welfare of a man at an address in Brook Hill, North End, near Dunmow just after 8.10am on Monday March 4.
“We attended and sadly a 49-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed. The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”
You may also want to watch:
Tributes flowed in from the world of music and entertainment. DJ Jo Whiley tweeted: “Oh this is sad news. The death of Keith Flint. Whenever our paths crossed he was an absolute sweetheart. Really lovely. Incredible iconic frontman with a soft centre. RIPKeithFlint.”
Singer Beverley Knight wrote: “I just heard, and I am heartbroken. Once the most innovative, fearless, ballsy bands to grace a stage and Keith was perfection up front. We have lost a Titan.”
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
The Prodigy enjoyed hits with their tracks Firestarter and Breathe and were known for their fusion of techno, breakbeat and acid house, forged in the UK’s illegal rave scene, and their anti-establishment stance.
An East of England Ambulance spokeswoman said: “We were called at 8.08am with reports of a man who was unconscious in Brook Hill, Dunmow.
“We sent an ambulance officer, Essex and Herts Air Ambulance and one ambulance. Sadly a man in his forties died at the scene.”