Protesters rage over incinerators

PROTESTERS were burning with rage last night over shock plans that could see two extra incinerators built in a Suffolk village.

Simon Tomlinson

PROTESTERS were burning with rage last night over shock plans that could see two extra incinerators built in a Suffolk village.

As revealed in the EADT yesterday, Suffolk Council County has earmarked two other sites in Great Blakenham in addition to the �500million waste burner plant agreed last week.

The announcement has caught campaigners completely off guard.


You may also want to watch:


Great Blakenham Parish Council, which has been fighting against the first incinerator, was last night frantically organising snap meetings with councillors from surrounding parishes to create new battle plan.

Shirley Fairburn, chairman of the parish council, said: “We have had no information whatsoever about where these three sites are supposedly going to be.

Most Read

“The news you're breaking is news to us. We are going to try to see what roads we can go down.”

One of the extra sites has been sketched out next to the original incinerator on the county's transport depot, while the other residual waste facility is allocated on the Masons landfill site.

These - along with three others in Sproughton, Eye and Stanton, near Bury St Edmunds - have been earmarked as suitable locations to process waste from commercial premises.

Public consultations will now be held until October 9 and although a variety of technologies are being considered, county leaders have admitted that incinerators could be constructed on all the sites.

Campaigners say there are serious health issues to be considered on top of worries about the amount of traffic that will be generated by lorries.

Mrs Fairburn said: “What people don't realise is the fall-out from this. I have been to an incinerator in London and the smell was absolutely horrendous. It made me feel ill.”

Peter Welham, a member of Suffolk Against Incineration and Landfill, added: “It has caught everybody cold. There will be tremendous opposition to it and Suffolk County Council is in for a rough ride.”

There are also worries that the potential waste burners could put off visitors to the neighbouring SnOasis winter complex, which is due to be built over the next few years.

Protestors also believe the accompanying application to build 421 homes will be put in jeopardy because buyers will avoid the area.

However, developers are confident the proposals will not be unfavourable towards the �300million project.

Godfrey Spanner, managing director of SnOasis, said: “Once the rubbish is dealt with at such high temperatures, there is practically no risk. All our building partners agree there will be no adverse effect on house prices.”

Guy McGregor, Cabinet portfolio holder for strategic planning, said: “Disposal of all types of waste whether it is municipal, commercial or industrial is a huge challenge for us all.

“I hope that all interested parties will look at the proposals and let us have their views before the October 9.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus