Family-run quiz events helping the community
- Credit: Archant
Quiz nights at Seckford Golf Club raise thousands for local charities including EACH, cancer charities, St Elizabeth Hospice and others.
Who owns Greenland, can you name the Spice Girls, who scored the winning goal in the 1978 FA Cup final?
Think you know the answers to these questions?
Then why not pop along to one of the quiz nights at Seckford Golf Club near Woodbridge.
They take place most weeks, raising funds for locally-based charities, and thousands of pounds are raised throughout the year.
You may also want to watch:
Charities to benefit include EACH, St Elizabeth Hospice, cancer and diabetes charities and a range of other good causes.
The open quiz nights began 12 years ago and have grown since then, and become more popular.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 6 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 7 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
They are a family affair.
Quizmaster is Simon Jay, the golf professional at Seckford Golf Club, with his own inimitable style.
While the questions are written and compiled by his mum and dad, Paul and Elaine, and other friends help on the nights.
The past year has been a particular success.
Last Saturday, January 27, a fun quiz was held in support of Macmillian cancer care and Prostate Cancer UK, and it raised £1,036 which was shared by the local fundraisers.
It made an impressive total for the year.
Simon said: “During this time from February 2017 to February 2018 we held a total of 36 quiz nights for 24 local charities, including EACH, Macmillan, Lighthouse Women’s Aid, Ipswich Diabetes and Suffolk Small Animal and many others.
“The sum raised for this period was £25,872.
“The charity quiz nights have been running 12 years and a `guesstimate’ of £250,000 has been raised over this time.
“We have many repeated dates for next year, and many new enquiries.
“We have a lot of regular supporters who come along, including one lady who comes from Chelmsford who read about it first on the EADT website.”
“It is a triple whammy, it is great visibility for the golf club, and very good business for the charities, and people enjoy doing them.
“At the same time we enjoy doing them.
“It grew from the club quizzes, which started 17 years ago - when we just had six in the winter.
“It does bring new people to the golf club, and some of them have dinners here or golf days too.
“It really is a team effort, from my mum who writes the questions to the scorers and the chefs and the bar staff.”
More information from Seckford Golf Club on 01394 388000.