Rape suspect released from bail

IPSWICH: No action is to be taken against a 26-year-old man arrested on suspicion of rape after a teenage girl was attacked in a churchyard.

The suspect was the second person to be detained after a 17-year-old was assaulted in the grounds of St Margaret’s Church just after 2.30am on March 23 while walking home from a night out.

The man had been bailed to return to Ipswich police station Easter Monday.

However, Louise Rosher, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary, said detectives have released the 26-year-old and no further action will be taken against him.

The teenager was understood to be walking along Bolton Lane next to St Margaret’s Church when the incident occurred.


You may also want to watch:


She is said to have been assaulted in the graveyard sometime between 2.30am and 3am.

A 33-year-old suspect from Ipswich was arrested on suspicion of rape just under three hours after the incident.

Most Read

He was taken to Ipswich police station where he was questioned during the day.

It is not believed that the girl knew the suspect, who was released on police bail and is due to return to the police station on May 17.

The 26-year-old man was also arrested on March 23, but much later in the day.

People were said to be sleeping in tents at the rear of the church at the time of the incident.

One estimate said as many as four or five people may have been staying within the church boundaries that night.

Anyone who may have information is urged to contact Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus