Rapist strikes in seaside town
WOMEN in Clacton were warned to be on their guards last night after a rapist struck in the town centre The woman, in her 40s, who has not been named but lived in the resort area, was believed to have been walking home alone early yesterday after a night out when she was attacked.
By Sharon Asplin
WOMEN in Clacton were warned to be on their guards last night after a rapist struck in the town centre
The woman, in her 40s, who has not been named but lived in the resort area, was believed to have been walking home alone early yesterday after a night out when she was attacked.
The incident happened in Hayes Road at the junction with Alexander Road at about 2.30am.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Phil Jewell, of Tendring CID said: “This man is still at large and I would advise members of the public to take all possible sensible precautions.”
Last night details of the rape were still sketchy as the investigating team had been unable to interview the victim, who was very tired and upset.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 9 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
It is understood she escaped with minor external injuries and did not need hospital treatment. As soon as she reported the attack, she was taken to an Essex Police sympathy suite at an undisclosed location where she received an initial medical examination.
Det Insp Jewell added: “The woman is obviously distressed as it has been quite a traumatic experience for her and one of our next immediate moves will be to appoint a family liaison officer to ensure that the process of investigating is made as stress-free as possible.”
Currently a handful of local officers are dealing with the inquiry but a decision is expected to be taken today about whether to hand the case over to a special major investigations team.
The rapist is described as white, in his late 20s, 5ft 11ins tall, clean-shaven with short dark hair. He was wearing a light-coloured shirt at the time of the attack.
Anyone with any information is asked to call Clacton Police on 01255 221312 or Crimestoppers in confidence on 0800 555111.