Helicopter joins lifeboat crews from Lowestoft and Gorleston in large-scale search for second missing woman
- Credit: citizenside.com
A large-scale coastline search for a missing woman involving the rescue helicopter and lifeboat crews from north Suffolk is currently under way.
The coastguard helicopter and lifeboats from Gorleston and Lowestoft were sent out to look for a woman, believed to be in her 50s, at around 5.30am.
Despite a five-hour search, no trace of the woman has been found.
This morning, Norfolk Police said they are growing increasingly concerned for missing Carol Smalley from Lincolnshire.
The 54-year-old is believed to have been staying in the Great Yarmouth area, and clothes and a bag were found on a beach leading to the sea.
Crews confirmed they were not out looking for missing university student Sophie Smith, who vanished from her home on Boxing Day.
Captain Lindsey Wigmore, of the Great Yarmouth and Gorleston lifeboat station, said: “We were sent out to search for a missing person in the Hopton area, along the coastline.
“It is a woman in her 50s from Lincolnshire we believe, and it is not Sophie Smith, who is also missing from the Gorleston area.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 9 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 10 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home
“The coastguard helicopter is still out there looking for her, the lifeboats returned to their stations by 11am or so.”
The all-weather lifeboat from Great Yarmouth and Gorleston was called out at 5.30am, closely followed by the inshore crew at approximately 6.17am.
The Lowestoft lifeboat was sent to help at 8.24am, alongside the coastguard helicopter.
Mrs Smalley has not been seen since lunchtime on January 3 in Spalding, Lincolnshire.
Call 101, quoting reference 27, if you think you can help.