Respect, understanding and a sense of humour: the keys to one Suffolk couple’s 60 year marriage
- Credit: Archant
A couple in Wickham Market are getting ready to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary.
Mike and Leila Gardener met in 1957 at a dance being held in their native Tunbridge Wells in Kent.
A year after they properly met, the pair were married.
Mike’s work in the aviation industry saw the couple move
Dubai and Aden in Yemen.
You may also want to watch:
Nine years ago the couple moved to Wickham Market after Mike retired.
“We have really fallen in love with Suffolk,” said Mike.
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 3 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 6 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 7 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 8 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 9 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
As part of the celebrations the pair, who have three children, 5 grand children and three great grandchildren, received a congratulatory card from the Queen.
As well as celebrating their wedding anniversary the couple will also be marking Leila’s 80th birthday next month.
When asked what their secret to a happy marriage was Mike said:“Three things: respect, understanding and a sense of humour.”