Masters title for Matthew Orrey at Risbygate Sports Club’s annual contest in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
Matthew Orrey picked up the Risbygate Masters bowls title after he beat Wayne Willgress in the final at the Risbygate Sports Club, in Bury St Edmunds.
The annual event attracted an illustrious field of bowlers with Nick Armstrong, of Armstrongs Funeral Service, making the presentations.
In the semi-final Orrey, who comes from Spalding, beat Andrew Walters, from Worcestershire, while home bowler Mark Royal lost out to Norfolk’s Wayne Willgress.
Greg Harlow from Ely, the number 1 ranked player on the World Bowls Tour, lost to Andrew Walters, from Worcestershire and other participants included John Price and Jason Greenslade, from Wales, who fell to Willgress and Royal respectively.
Also deserving of mention is Scott Edwards who out-scored Orrey, but was unable to win their tie-break.
You may also want to watch:
Results: Quarter-finals: Orrey bt Edwards 6-3 3-9 2-1, Walters bt Harlow 4-4 7-6, Willgress bt Price 9-3 4-6 2-1, Royal bt Greenslade 7-2 6-4. Semi-finals: Orrey bt Walters 6-2 6-1, Willgress bt Royal 5-6 10-0 2-1. Final: Orrey bt Willgress 2-6 7-2 2-1.
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 6 New-look Cobbold Stand finished - and what a difference it makes!
- 7 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 8 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
- 9 Crash between two motorbikes
- 10 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move