A146 at Waveney Bridge partially closed after ‘dangerous’ deterioration
- Credit: Google
Waveney Bridge has been partially closed and temporary traffic lights installed so repairs can be carried out to the “dangerous” deteriorating structure.
The A146 Norwich Road crosses the River Waveney by Beccles.
Suffolk Highways decided to close one lane this morning, with a spokesman for the organisation saying: "The road surface at the joint of the Waveney Bridge is deteriorating, causing the structure to become dangerous.
"To complete full repairs, a specialist sub-contractor is required but until we have established their availability, further details regarding dates and timescales remain unknown."
Suffolk Highways previously made two repairs to the bridge. However these failed on both occasions.
You may also want to watch:
In an attempt to minimise disruption to commuters, the lights are manually controlled between 7am and 7pm each day.
However congestion was widespread during rush hour this morning, as the road is often a main commuter route for people from Beccles and Lowestoft travelling to Norwich,
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
The repairs have been described as "absolutely necessary for the safety of road users" until the bridge joint can be replaced.