Roger Hirst re-elected as Essex Police and Fire Commissioner
- Credit: Archant
Roger Hirst has been re-elected as Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner in Essex - winning on the first ballot of the count.
The countywide turnout was 32.47%, an increase from the 2016 PCC election when the turnout was 26%.
Mr Hirst said: “This is a sobering level of endorsement from the people of Essex. I am grateful that they are clearly appreciating what we have been doing over the past five years.
"We have achieved 500 extra police officers with a commitment of further investment and with more officers to come.
“We are improving the culture of the fire and rescue service with a focus on prevention and protection. It is really exciting that this programme has been endorsed by the public of Essex.”
He added: “I would like to say thank you to everyone involved in the election across the county, in particular the Police Area Returning Officer Adrian Pritchard and his team.”
Roger Hirst(C): 235,346 (Elected)
Chris Vince (L) 99,712
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 Busy high street taped off by police
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
Jon Whitehouse (LD) 58,131
Robin Tillbrook (English Democrats)42,831