Get your skates on! Roller-skating memories in Days Gone By
Roller-skating fun in the 1970s and 80s is the theme for our latest nostalgia gallery.
If you took part in skating sessions at schools and sports centres, you might spot yourself in one of the photos.
Dozens of students joined in a skating marathon at Sudbury Upper School in December 1982, which is featured here.
MORE: Memories of 1970s banger racing at FoxhallWe also have photos of skating sessions at Leiston Sport Centre in 1973 and Stowmarket Roller Skating Club in 1977, with 70s fashions very much in evidence.
Roller skates were actually invented in the 18th century, but they really caught on Victorian times, with a large number of rinks in London in the 1870s.
However, the skates used in Suffolk and Essex a century on were much more streamlined models!
You may also want to watch:
What are your memories of roller skating locally? Email email@example.com or write to Judy Rimmer, Newsroom, 120 Princes Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 1RS.
To order photos, visit archantsuffolk.newsprints.co.uk or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema