Rooker sees Jaywick's progress
ONE of the most deprived places in East Anglia has played host to a Government minister so he could see first hand why it needs help.Lord Rooker, the regeneration minister, was given a tour of Jaywick on Friday, which was once dubbed the "Brixton of Essex".
ONE of the most deprived places in East Anglia has played host to a Government minister so he could see first hand why it needs help.
Lord Rooker, the regeneration minister, was given a tour of Jaywick on Friday, which was once dubbed the "Brixton of Essex".
Shown around the village by Ivan Henderson, the Labour MP for Harwich, Lord Rooker also met representatives from the Guinness Trust and members of the Jaywick Forum.
Mr Henderson said: "Millions of pounds of Government funding have gone into the local Sure Start initiative and the provision of the Lotus Way spine road.
You may also want to watch:
"It was important that Lord Rooker saw the marvellous impact that this investment has had on the area so he could see for himself that further money will be put to good use."
Lord Rooker later met members of Tendring District Council, who briefed him on the progress of the Haven Gateway initiative.
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 10 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship