Rural Crime Awareness Day from Essex Police
- Credit: citizenside.com
Essex Police is holding a crime awareness day in a bid to tackle rural crime in the county.
The third annual event will see a number of police departments and exhibitors on hand to help farmers and rural residents stay safe.
Latest force figures show rural crime has fallen in Essex by 1.97% with 26,346 incidents from November 2012 - October 2013, to 25,826 crimes from November 2013 - October 2014.
Stephen Armson-Smith, crime prevention officer and one of the event organisers, said: “The figures for rural crime over the whole county generally shows a drop in crime over the past year, however some of the northern areas show an increase in some crimes.
“As part of a package of police and partnership initiatives we are using events such as the Rural Crime Awareness Day to draw awareness to measures that the rural communities can take to help reduce crimes.”
Topics covered during the event will include security of machinery, metals, fuel and heating oil, tools, trailers, plus homes, fields and farms.
Officers and other specialists will also be giving advice on public rights of way, wildlife crime such as hare coursing and poaching, roads casualty reduction, human trafficking and firearms’ control.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 3 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 4 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 5 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 6 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 7 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 8 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's Carabao Cup exit
- 9 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 10 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
The event takes place at Layer Marney Tower, near Colchester, on Tuesday November 18 from 10am to 3pm. Refreshments are available.