School hit by coronavirus outbreak prepares to re-open
- Credit: Archant
Pupils and teachers at a school hit by a coronavirus outbreak have taken to the new systems “quickly and effectively”, a headteacher has said.
Andy Hunter, of Samuel Ward Academy in Haverhill, said there have been no new cases of Covid-19 identified in staff or students.
The last positive result brought the total number of staff affected to nine and was identified last week, bosses said.
All were learning support staff, and the school said it first identified an employee with symptoms at a training day held before the start of term.
MORE: School hit by coronavirus outbreak will not fully re-open for two weeks - as 50 staff testedThe school in Chalkstone Way is set to fully re-open next week, after more than 130 pupils and several members of staff were last week told to self-isolate as a precaution.
As a result, the 1,276-pupil academy has been operating on a rota system with certain year groups attending last week, and the remaining years going in this week.
MORE: Headteacher at Covid-hit school hits back at ‘aggressive and hurtful’ social media comments“It is very unfortunate that we should have had an outbreak of Covid at all, let alone so early after coming back to school,” said Mr Hunter.
You may also want to watch:
“However, this has shown that our systems for dealing with an outbreak are robust and effective.
“Students and teachers have taken to the new systems very quickly and very effectively.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 3 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 4 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 5 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 9 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 10 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
Pupils will be welcomed back full-time next week.