Saxmundham: Centre celebrates success and refurbishments
- Credit: Archant
A transformed community building has been given the thumbs up by volunteers.
For the past 18 months the Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company (SADCIC) has been working to renovate the Fromus Centre.
The former Saxmundham Resource Centre is leased by Suffolk County Council (SCC) and used by community groups and local enterprises for activities and meetings.
Phil Peeling, volunteer director, said efficiency savings and revenue from hiring the hall and meeting rooms had built a financial surplus of more than £12,000 - all being reinvested into the centre.
Among improvements are a new floor for the hall, with audio-visual facilities and new tables, chairs and crockery on the way, and the grounds being landscaped.
You may also want to watch:
Don Tricker, volunteer director, said more than 25 groups hire rooms and that demand was expected to grow.
County councillor Michael Gower called the centre a “beacon project for SCC’s Our Place initiative, to enable community groups to take on and develop county buildings.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 9 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
For more information visit fromuscentre.org.uk.