Bury St Edmunds-based saxophonist to launch town’s concert series
- Credit: Archant
An award-winning saxophonist – who was born in Bury St Edmunds – will launch the town’s 2018-19 concert series with a performance next week.
Jonathan Radford, who grew up in Santon Downham, near Thetford, will perform at the Unitarian Meeting House on Monday, September 17, at 7.30pm, and his programme will include music by Rachmaninov, Grieg, Piazzolla and Gershwin.
At the of age 13 Jonathan went to Chetham’s School of Music in Manchester and later studied in Paris and at the Royal College of Music.
Jonathan said: “I first went to school in Brandon before going to Thetford Grammar School.
“Right from the beginning I took part in the West Suffolk Youth Music programme in Bury St Edmunds at King Edward’s School and initially I would come to Bury every Saturday morning to take part in various ensemble activities.
You may also want to watch:
“Later I started to come on Tuesday and Friday evenings for Big Band and Wind Ensemble rehearsals.
“Before too long I was given a place in the Suffolk Youth Wind Ensemble which would meet in the school holidays, we went on tour to places like France and Germany.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
“I have really fond memories of these early musical experiences, they definitely helped shape the musician I am today.”
Tickets £15 (students £5) are available from the Theatre Royal box office on 01284 769505 or www.theatreroyal.orgOther concerts in the series are: October 15 – Joseph Shiner (clarinet) & Somi Kim (piano), November 19 - Chelys Consort of Viols, February 18 - London Metropolitan Brass, March 18 - Kokopellis Wind Quartet.
Subscription for the series costs £55.