Scheme launched for young athletes
A NEW SCHEME to provide cash support for talented young athletes has been launched by Essex Paralympic athlete Lloyd Upsdell.Essex County Council is now inviting applications for funding from individual young athletes aged between 12 and 25 who wish to progress in their chosen sport.
A NEW SCHEME to provide cash support for talented young athletes has been launched by Essex Paralympic athlete Lloyd Upsdell.
Essex County Council is now inviting applications for funding from individual young athletes aged between 12 and 25 who wish to progress in their chosen sport.
Nineteen-year-old Lloyd Upsell from Dunmow won two gold medals at the 2000 Sydney Paralympics in the 100 and 200 metres. The world record holder in both events was special guest at yesterday's launch at Thriftwood School, Galleywood, Chelmsford.
Stephen Castle, county council cabinet member with special responsibilities for sport, said: "Essex has a proven record of producing top athletes who have competed successfully against some of the top names in the world of sport. This new initiative provides a helping hand to support the development of our talented young athletes and will make Essex sport even stronger."
You may also want to watch:
To qualify applicants must be at regional level or above. A total of £20,000 is available each year, with a maximum of £1,000 per athlete per year.
Closing date for applications is February 28. For a form write to: Essex Sports Development, Essex County Council, Cultural Services, PO Box 47, Chelmsford, CM2 6WN.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 7 West Suffolk restaurant named among best in the country
- 8 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 9 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns