“Sex crazy” Sudbury garage owner Trevor Wright jailed for 19 years
- Credit: Archant
A 67-year-old west Suffolk garage owner who sexually assaulted and raped three schoolgirls more than 25 years ago has been jailed for 19 years.
Sentencing Trevor Wright, Judge Martyn Levett described what he had done as “cruel” and said his “sexual depravity” had left his victims scarred for life.
“You regarded them as sexual objects to satisfy your sexual appetite,” said the judge.
Wright, of Ballingdon Street, Sudbury, had denied five offences of rape and seven offences of indecent assault in relation to three schoolgirls between 1977 and 1989, but was found guilty after a trial at Ipswich Crown Court which finished earlier this month.
He admitted six further offences of indecent assault on the same girls.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to jailing Wright, known as Tim, Judge Levett ordered him to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for life and made him the subject of an indefinite sexual harm prevention order.
He was also ordered to pay £2,500 costs.
- 1 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 2 A12 to close overnight in June with 18-mile diversion
- 3 Huge fire in scrapyard sees 11 fire engines descend on village
- 4 Coronavirus cases rise in East Suffolk
- 5 See inside a nuclear reactor - we take behind the scenes trip to Sizewell B
- 6 School year group and bus passengers told to isolate after Covid case
- 7 Suffolk hotel named as one of 'best places to eat by the sea'
- 8 North Stander: 'We will have to be realistic and we might well need patience'
- 9 See inside stunning barn conversion with music room, workshop and woodland
- 10 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
During his trial the court heard that following his arrest Wright initially denied any inappropriate behaviour towards the girls, but during police interviews he changed his story and admitted lying on top of one of the girls in a car in his workshop and rubbing himself against her.
He also admitted lying on top of one of the other girls and rubbing himself against her and rubbing himself against another girl in a swimming pool while he was on holiday in Devon.
He denied having sexual intercourse with any of the girls or penetrating them with his fingers.
He told police he had always been “sex crazy” and was ashamed of what he had done to the girls.
Michael Proctor, for Wright, said the offences came to an end in 1989 and there was no evidence he was still attracted to children.
He described the offences as “dreadful and terrible” and said Wright had asked him to apologise for what he had done and for all the trouble he had caused.
“It is likely given his age that he will spend a substantial part or the whole of the rest of his life in prison,” said Mr Proctor.