Shock as teen raped in Suffolk market town
Police inquiries continue following the rape of a 14-year-old girl in town centre car park on Saturday night
A RAPE inquiry has been launched by police after a 14-year-old girl was sexually assaulted in a late-night attack in a west Suffolk town.
The teenager was with a friend outside a takeaway in North Street, Sudbury, at around 11.30pm on Saturday night when they began talking to two men.
A police spokesman said one of the men took the girl down an alleyway to a car park where he raped her.
Her friend witnessed the attack when she walked into the car park - she shouted at the man who ran off into Girling Street towards East Street.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Inspector Andy Footer said: “The female is extremely traumatized by this incident and suffered some minor injuries, and her friend is also shocked at witnessing such an attack.”
The incident was reported to police on Sunday evening and the victim and her friend have been spoken to by specially trained officers.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 6 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 7 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 8 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 9 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 10 Forward Sears completes Colchester return
The 14-year-old described her attacker as being of mixed race with a tanned complexion, in his late 20s, slim build with a large nose and short dark hair. He was wearing a cap and dark clothing and was smoking cigarettes.
Det-Insp Footer added: “The town centre would have been very busy at the time with people on a night out, and I would ask anyone who may have been in North Street and Girling Street areas to contact the police as they may hold important information which will assist in this inquiry.”
Officers will be carrying out further inquiries in the town today.
Anyone with information should call West Suffolk CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.