Community’s ‘enormous shock’ after discovery of man’s body at address
A community has been left “reeling” by the launch of a murder probe following the discovery of a man’s body in a Colchester home.
The body of a man in his 50s was found by police and ambulance service staff – called to an address in the Greenstead area of the town on Wednesday afternoon.
Essex Police announced that detectives had launched a murder investigation early on Thursday morning.
Emergency services had been called to the address based on concerns for the man’s welfare – but he was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after their arrival.
His identity has yet to be confirmed and investigations are ongoing into the circumstances of his death.
The man’s body was found in a council property in Forest Road, near Hythe railway station, at about 2.45pm on August 22.
The address lies within five minutes of the home of Tim Young, deputy borough leader and Greenstead ward councillor for 26 years.
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 3 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 4 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 8 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 9 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 10 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
Mr Young visited the taped-off scene and spoke to an officer leading the investigation on Thursday morning.
The Labour councillor noted the presence of a white-suited forensics team but described the atmosphere as otherwise typically quiet.
He said: “It’s very concerning but the community is very resilient.
“The council has made it known on social media that anyone in need of support at this time can get in touch.
“We’re all reeling from what we’ve heard. We send our condolences to the man’s family.
“The community is in enormous shock but we’ll all pull together.
“The three local Labour councillors will be available at their surgery on Saturday to provide support and advice on this or any other matter.
“This is a council owned property, so there’s extra responsibility on us to know the full details of what happened.
“Of course, we must allow the police to do what they have to.”
An Essex Police spokesman said a murder investigation had been launched following the discovery, adding: “Our enquiries are ongoing and detectives are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.”
Anyone with information, or access to CCTV or dashcam footage, should call 101, quoting the incident number 694 of 22/08.