Pictures show digger left stuck in the mud near Shotley pier
- Credit: Archant
Crowds watched on in Shotley after a digger got into difficulty near the pier.
According to onlookers the digger was working at the pier in the village when it was allegedly driven to the water to wash off mud in the river.
Unfortunately the digger soon became stuck and required rescue from a JCB which was also being used on the site.
Witnesses said that the JCB then ran out of fuel and once re-fuelled would not start.
A tractor then arrived at the scene and tried to drag the digger out but it more mud ended up being pushed in front of it as the tide came in.
You may also want to watch:
By this point a number of people had gathered near the water to watch the events unfolding near the pier.
They said that the digger was left in the water until the tide had subsided.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
Both the tractor and JCB were removed from the beach.