Six injured in village brawl
By Lisa CleverdonA COUNCILLOR has voiced concern over the level of violence in a village after a man was left with serious injuries following a brawl.
By Lisa Cleverdon
A COUNCILLOR has voiced concern over the level of violence in a village after a man was left with serious injuries following a brawl.
Six men were taken to hospital with head injuries after a fight broke out in Hall Drive, Lakenheath, on Sunday.
One of the men, a 24-year-old, was left in a critical condition after he and his friends were set upon by a group of about 20 people.
Bruce Rutterford, chairman of Lakenheath Parich Council, said the incident would be of great worry to residents.
“Lakenheath is a big village, but we are fortunate because incidents like this are alien to us and it is not something you would expect to happen,” he added.
- 1 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 2 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 10 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
“But we do not want to see this sort of thing happening and it is very sad that someone has been badly injured as a result of the fight.”
Police were called to a house in Hall Drive just before 10pm on Sunday. Detective Inspector David Skevington, of Suffolk police, said: “This appears to be a particularly nasty attack that left all six victims with serious head injuries.
“At this stage it is not clear what has happened and we are therefore keen to hear from anyone who witnessed a large group of people in the area.”
It is believed the six men, thought to be from Poland, have been working in the grounds of Lakenheath Hall.
Last night the condition of the 24-year-old man, who has been transferred from West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, was described as serious, but not life-threatening.
Four of the men were released from hospital yesterday, but the sixth victim was still being treated to a fracture to his face.
Anyone with information should contact Newmarket police on 01284 774100.