Sizewell: Nuclear power station back on line after refuelling outage
SIZEWELL B nuclear power station has been brought back on line after a refuelling outage.
An extra 1,200 specialist workers were on site for the work.
Some 14,000 tasks were also completed in addition to refuelling the reactor.
Key achievements included the safe replacement of 74 heaters in the pressuriser.
The station’s protection and back up systems were also fully tested “end to end” in readiness for return to power.
You may also want to watch:
Further work was carried out by a specialist team of engineers from France who were brought in to replace the internal equipment in the reactor coolant pump, another key part of the site.
Completion of such maintenance tasks helps to ensure continuous delivery of power to more than two million homes and businesses until the next planned refuelling outage in 2013.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Jim Crawford, Sizewell B station director, said: “The work our staff and contracting partners have safely achieved during this outage is outstanding.
“We committed to replace the heaters in our pressuriser within the next two refuelling outages but have safely accomplished this during just one.”
The power station is brought offline to refuel every 18 months and staff take the opportunity to carry out a number of maintenance projects on the site at the same time.