Striking photo shows brewing storm as sun rises over iconic pier
If there was ever a photo that showed how Suffolk’s weather can turn on a sixpence, this is it.
This stunning image, captured by Sarah Groves at 4am, shows a storm brewing one the one hand while the sun rises on a beautifully warm summer's day on the other.
Ms Groves had a limited window of opportunity to capture the amazing meteorological scene over Southwold Pier on Wednesday, July 24, as the dark clouds and storm visible to the left of the picture would soon engulf the picturesque sunrise.
"I woke up at about 4am as I heard a storm rumbling away in the distance and decided to get up and have a look at the sunrise over the sea," said Ms Groves, who quickly took her camera out to capture the scene.
"The sun just managed to appear over the horizon just after 5am before it disappeared behind the storm clouds."
You may also want to watch:
Much of Suffolk was later battered by the storms, with 15,000 lightning strikes overnight.
But despite causing some travel problems on the railways as the storms took their toll, the weather quickly turned into another scorching day of sunshine.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 5 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 7 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 8 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 9 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash