Stab victim feared he would die

IPSWICH: Stabbing victim Colin Woods today told how he feared he would die after masked robbers broke into his home and knifed him twice, piercing his kidney.

The 55-year-old, of Bittern Close, Chantry, also had to have eight stitches after the raiders smashed a bottle over his head, before leaving him tied up, bloodsoaked, and terrified.

Mr Woods said: “I thought ‘this is it’. I thought my time was up. My heart missed a couple of beats.

“I would like to thank police and the ambulance service. Without them I wouldn’t be here today.

“I feel very traumatised. I close my eyes at night and all I see is the image of that night. I can’t sleep without a light on.”

You may also want to watch:

The robbers broke into Mr Woods’ flat early on March 25.

He said: “I was in bed watching TV and heard a noise. I thought it was the cat coming in through the window. Next thing I knew these two boys came into the bedroom and said ‘give us your money’. I said ‘I haven’t got any money’.

Most Read

“They told me not to lie and to give them money. Then the bed was overturned. I was laying on the floor and that’s when I got stabbed.”

Mr Woods believes the kitchen knife they used had a five to six inch blade. He was wounded in the lower and upper part of his back, and sustained a nick to his arm where the blade was run across his skin.

Mr Woods said: “They were making threats all the time they were in the bedroom.

“The one with the knife picked up a bottle and whacked it across my head.

“They dragged me into the bathroom where they tied my hands and feet together and tied me to the basin.

“After that they left I managed to wriggle free.”

The two robbers had grabbed Mr Woods’ wallet, which contained cash and his bank card, and left his flat, but that was not the end of his ordeal.

Mr Woods said: “They came back and said ‘give us the (card’s) pin number’. I said ‘you’ve got the pin number’.

“They tied me up for a second time with twine.

“About five minutes after that they left. They said ‘ if we see an ambulance outside the house in half an hour your family are dead’.

“I gave it a couple of minutes and struggled to free myself. How I got up I don’t know. I got out of the flat and went to a neighbour’s. I would like to say a special thank you to my neighbour.”

The attackers are described as being in their late teens to early 20s and between 5ft 10in and 6ft tall.

One was slim and wearing a black hooded top with a scarf covering his face. The other was stockier and also wore a scarf round his face. He had a grey baseball cap on with a logo on the front.

Anyone who can help police find the men should telephone detective sergeant Darren Bruce on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus