Stansted: Business leaders ‘disappointed’ at Davies Report, though supportive of improvements to train links
- Credit: Archant
Businesses leaders in Essex say they are “disappointed” that an extra runway at Stansted Airport has been discounted until at least 2030.
Essex Chambers of Commerce’s director of policy David Burch said an increase in capacity would help the region’s export industry and hoped the Airports Commission might have included it on its proposals for the south east’s future aviation needs.
“Our business organisations are disappointed that, at this juncture, Stansted has not been further considered,” he said.
“If we are serious about growing exports and boosting the Essex economy we really need to have the ability to have flights from airports nearer to home.”
Suffolk business representatives have also supported the long term measures to increase capacity outlined in the report, particularly the proposals to improve train links with London.
You may also want to watch:
“Stansted Airport is a key economic driver for the whole East Anglian economy and therefore it is pleasing to see the commission support measure for increased passenger numbers at the airport and also improvement to rail services into the airport,” said Mark Pendlington, New Anglia LEP board member and transport lead.
John Dugmore, CEO of Suffolk Chamber said “The airport has capacity to grow, the business community wants more routes and more flights and we look forward to working with Stansted over the coming months and years.”
- 1 Body found in the River Orwell
- 2 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 5 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 7 What has changed in Woodbridge over lockdown?
- 8 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash