Man covered his ears when told of sexual assault allegations, court hears
- Credit: Archant
A former Bury St Edmunds man accused of sexually assaulting three schoolgirls covered his ears with his hands when police read out the allegations to him, a court has heard.
During police interviews Stephen Grant, who was living in Hodson Close, Bury St Edmunds, at the time of the allegations in the 1990s, denied being sexually attracted to children, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
He told officers that being told about the allegations made by the alleged victims, who had been regular visitors to his house, had been “the biggest shock of his life”.
The court heard that when a police officer was outlining the allegations made by the girls to Grant he said: “Don’t read me any more. I don’t want to hear any more.”
In the interviews, which were read to the court today, the officer explained to Grant he needed to hear the allegations so he could give his side of the story but he had then covered his ears with his hands and was seen to be shaking.
“All I can say is it’s all rubbish,” said Grant.
He told police he hadn’t had touched any of the girls inappropriately and accused them of “telling a pack of lies”
- 1 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 2 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
- 3 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 4 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 5 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 6 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 7 Severe delays on A12 as carriageway floods during extreme rainfall
- 8 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 9 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 10 Stu says: Six observations following 1-0 win at Burton
Grant, now aged 60, who lives in Stretham Road, Wilburton, Ely, has denied 10 offences of indecent assault and three of indecency with a child in respect of one of the alleged victims between 1995 and 1999, when she was aged between eight and 12, and one offence of indecent assault in relation to another girl between 1989 and 1991 when she was six or seven.
Grant has also denied attempted rape, indecency with a child and two offences of indecent assault on a third alleged victim between 1990 and 1996 when she was aged between five and 10.
Today (Thursday) Judge John Devaux directed the jury to find Grant not guilty of three offences of indecent assault in respect of one of the girls.
Stephen Rose, prosecuting, said Grant lived alone and young children living in the area near him in Bury St Edmunds knew his door was always open and treats were on offer.
The trial continues.