Stepson row led to murder, court told

A VIOLENT argument, which allegedly led to a former Ipswich woman being hacked to death by her husband, was described in court today.

A VIOLENT argument, which allegedly led to a former Ipswich woman being hacked to death by her husband, was described in court today.

Raymond Singh is on trial in Fiji charged with the murder of his wife, Wendy. The couple lived in Grove Lane before moving to Singh's homeland in October 2006.

Singh is said to have been involved in a fight with Mrs Singh's eldest son, who has learning difficulties, before murdering the mother-of-four in a frenzied attack at their home on May 11, last year. The attack left the 39-year-old with stab wounds in the chest, both sides of the neck, arms, face, nose and head.

Singh, a former sub-editor with the East Anglian Daily Times, denies murder.

You may also want to watch: reported that today in the Fijian High Court in the capital Suva, a waitress told how Singh argued physically with his 15-year-old stepson, George Borret, in a dispute over Mrs Singh's intention to give him money.

Meliki Tinai said witnessed the dispute as she was served them dinner the night before Mrs Singh was murdered.

Most Read

The court heard the couple came in for dinner at the Capital Restaurant in Suva on May 10, with George.

Ms Tinai said the Singhs were involved in a heated argument.

“The man was not happy with the young European boy present with them at the restaurant, he stood up and pointed to the boy and said, 'I don't want this piece of **** in our family','” she said.

"The young boy then stood up and pushed Singh. Singh pushed him back and the boy fell to the floor."

Police were called to the Singhs home the following day after neighbours heard shouts from the property, including Mrs Singh shouting “please stop, stop”.

The court has heard Mr Singh was seen driving away from the house shortly afterwards with the couple's baby son Jahaan and their other child Kaileb, who was aged three.

Thirty-six bloody footprints belonging to Singh, who was 29 at the time of the murder, were found in the kitchen where Mrs Singh died and a knife was also at the crime scene.

Today's second witness was the senior scientific officer Sharlene Kiran, who carried out forensic tests at the couple's home and in Singh's car. Ms Kiran said the forensic evidence for the case was sent to South Australia for testing.

The trial continues.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus