Storm Ciara: Contractor helps cut down tree blocking A1101
- Credit: Archant
A contractor came to the rescue to cut down a tree which was blocking the A1101 between Bury St Edmunds and Mildenhall - after drivers had been told to “avoid the area”.
Suffolk Specials Tweeted a picture of the tree blocking the full length of the road near Icklingham, with debris strewn across the road.
One Police Special, who has come on duty especially today to help manage the problems being caused by the winds of up to 70mph across the region, said earlier: "Currently at a road closure on the A1101 near Icklingham. Avoid the area as the road is completely blocked.
"Waiting for @Suff_highways to help cut the tree."
Now Suffolk Specials have Tweeted to say: "The #A1101 is now open again.
You may also want to watch:
"Huge thank you to Lean Brown Arb-Agri Contracting for offering to help cut this tree down so we can open the road."
There have been numerous delays on roads across the county, with police even putting up a rolling road block on the A14 amid reports of flying debris.
The Orwell Bridge is also closed for more than 12 hours and the A142 between Fordham and Newmarket was closed after it was completely blocked by a tree, while one driver had a very lucky escape when a tree fell down on his car.
However, the force have asked the public to only call 999 for instances involving injuries or a threat to life.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 6 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 7 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 8 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 9 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 10 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter