A14 bridge repair works extended with road closures in place for two more weekends
- Credit: Archant
Weekend roadworks to repair a bridge on the A14 near Stowmarket have been extended by Highways England with road closures set to be in place overnight for another two weekends.
The vital bridge repair works were originally scheduled for the past two weekends, however it now appears that they will continue.
The works will completely close the eastbound carriageway between junction 47A at Woolpit and junction 51 at Needham Market from 8pm today (June 28) until 6am on Saturday (June 29). One lane on the westbound carriageway will also be closed between junction 51 at Needham Market to junction 49 at Stowmarket West.
The diversion route has not been published yet for these closures.
The following Friday work will be carried out on the opposite carriage way, closing the westbound road between junction 51 at Needham Market and junction 47A at Woolpit from 8pm on July 5 until 6am on Saturday, July 6.
You may also want to watch:
It is also listed on Highways England's website that the roadworks will continue throughout the week - however, this is for road surface improvements and so is not related to the bridge repairs.
The westbound carriageway will be closed between junction 50 Stowmarket and junction 49 at Stowmarket West from 8pm to 6am over night each day from Monday, July 1 to Saturday July 6.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years
Addressing confusion over the weekends closures a spokesman from Highways England said: "Originally the Hill House joints were going to take up to four weekends, the two previous weekend and the next two weekends, to complete.
"So, we booked road space for four weekends. However, we have managed to complete 90% of the works in two weekends just gone.
"The remaining work will be completed over two Friday night closures."
Currently, works in Needham Market mean that drivers cannot reach the town from the A14. A diversion is in place taking drivers along the A14 to Stowmarket before coming into the town via the B1113.