Stowmarket/Clare: Former school caretaker and youth club leader, Robert Bambury, 75, convicted of child sex offences for second time in three months
- Credit: Archant
A 75-year-old former Suffolk school caretaker and youth club leader has been jailed for the second time in three months for child sex offences.
Robert Bambury, who previously worked at Clare Middle School, must now serve a total of eight years in prison after being sentenced to four years in jail by Kilmarnock Sheriff’s Court on Monday.
Bambury, of Wright Close, Stowmarket, pleaded guilty to two counts of lewd and libidinous practices between April 1998 and August 2005 when he was living on the Isle of Arran. At the time the girls involved were aged under 10 years old.
The former Clare youth club leader was previously jailed for four years following a separate case at Ipswich Crown Court in April this year.
The two sentences will run consecutively.
You may also want to watch:
Bambury had denied 14 offences of indecent assault, three of indecency with a child and one of rape when he appeared before Ipswich Crown Court.
He was convicted of seven offences of indecent assault by majority verdicts of 10-2 and was cleared of rape and the indecent assaults after a trial.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 3 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 6 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 7 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 8 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 9 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
The offences also related to two girls and were alleged to have taken place in the 1970s and 1980s.
He was found not guilty of one of the offences of indecency with a child on the direction of the trial judge and the jury was discharged from returning verdicts on the remaining five charges after failing to reach a verdict after 12 hours of deliberations.
Jailing Bambury, Judge John Devaux said he had “groomed” one of the victim’s for sex while she was in her early teens.
He said Bambury was in poor health and was the sole carer for his wife.
The judge added the offences happened many years ago and at the time Bambury had no previous convictions.
In addition to jailing him for four years, Judge Devaux ordered him to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register indefinitely and made him the subject of a sexual offences prevention order.