Stowmarket: Man held after knife raid at store
A MAN is in police custody following an armed robbery at a supermarket.
The 21-year-old was arrested during a manhunt following the incident at the Co-op store in Combs Lane, just outside Stowmarket, when staff were threatened with a knife.
A police spokeswoman said that at just before 7.45pm yesterday a man had walked into the shop brandishing the weapon and demanding cash.
She said: “Police have arrested a 21-year-old man following an armed robbery at the Co-op store in Combs Lane, Stowmarket.
“Officers were contacted just before 7.45pm to reports that a man with a knife had entered the shop, threatened staff and demanded money.
You may also want to watch:
“A quantity of cash and cigarettes was stolen and police immediately launched a hunt for the man and detained a 21-year-old a short time later.”
The man is in custody at Bury St Edmunds Police Station and will be interviewed by officers.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 6 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 7 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 8 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 9 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
Police have asked for anyone with information about the raid to call 01473 613500.