Stowmarket: Mother’s petition calls for road crossing for school children
- Credit: Archant
A mother has started a petition to get a crossing built on a busy road used by school children.
Vicki Browne, 32, has said worried parents are signing up over fears their children could get seriously hurt crossing Needham Road, in Stowmarket.
The road is used by dozens of children travelling to school and the adjacent play area on Pike’s Meadow.
Miss Browne said: “My daughter goes to Combs Ford Primary School and I have noticed that we get stuck by the road for anything between two and 20 minutes waiting to cross.
“It’s got worse over the years; it used to be that it was not too bad and there were a few people driving up and down.
“Now after four years it has got really busy as many people use the road to go into town.
“I have seen children run across because they cannot wait which is dangerous.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 2 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 3 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 4 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Swans prepare 'six-figure bid' for Fraser
- 6 Town skipper Morsy handed four-game ban after Accrington charge
- 7 The Unruly Pig in Suffolk is named best gastropub in the UK
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich players performed in their 2-0 Wimbledon win
- 9 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
- 10 AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Ipswich Town: It's Burns Night as winger inspires win
She said because of the forthcoming middle school closures more children could be forced to use the crossing to get to Combs Ford Primary School.
Miss Browne said she would like to get at least 200 people to sign it before a deadline of November 13.
She added: “We will see if what we have done will make a difference – there are so many mums moaning at me about the crossing. No-one has done anything about it.”
A spokesman for Suffolk County Council said: “The county council is developing a scheme to improve safety on Needham Road but this doesn’t, at this stage, involve a crossing.
“We will of course look at the petition and if required, meet with parents to discuss this proposal.” The petition, which has been signed by more than 100 people, can be viewed at the Facebook site for the crossing campaign: www.facebook.com/safercrossing