Stowmarket prepares for Christmas lights switch-on event on November 28
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of visitors will descend upon a market town for its Christmas lights switch-on.
The preparations are fully underway in Stowmarket for the big event on November 28.
Not only will there be a lights switch-on, but a host of smaller things happening around the town. The Voice singer, Jade Mayjean Peters, from Ipswich, will perform in the Market Place and has the honours of turning on the lights this year.
Events will also be spread out at the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts, The Mix, the parish church and the Museum of East Anglian Life.
David Marsh, Stowmarket Town Council’s events and theatre manager, is one of the main organisers. He said: “We were really pleased with last year’s event, so we’ve been meeting with the stake holders since July to ensure that this year’s switch on is a really special evening for the whole community…and hopefully the best one yet.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got some great stuff happening all around the town, including Kerry Ellis at the parish church, a festive market in the town, a screening of Frozen at The Mix and reindeers and a craft fare at the museum, it should be a fantastic festive evening.”
Paul Morris from Town 102 has been confirmed as the main stage compère and will present Mid Suffolk Brass and Stowmarket Chorale, as well as up-and-coming female vocalist, Samantha Harvey.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
Stowmarket girl Samantha started performing with an amateur dramatics group when she was just nine.
The church, St Peters and St Mary’s, will officially launch its Christmas Tree Festival on the night at 7.15pm. Doors will open at 5.45pm.
The museum will kick off the day at 3pm with its Christmas fayre and Santa’s Grotto.
On-stage entertainment in the Market Place will begin from 5pm, with the lights being switched on at 7.30pm.