Stowmarket: Singer Emma Bonner-Morgan performs Suffolk composer Martin Shaw’s songs
A SINGER has performed songs written by her great, great, uncle, the late Suffolk composer Martin Shaw.
Soprano Emma Bonner-Morgan, of Stowmarket, sang the songs at a concert at Wolverton Manor on the Isle of Wight.
Mr Shaw, who lived in Suffolk and was married to Joan Cobbold of the brewery family, had 300 works published in his life but no recordings have survived.
Miss Bonner-Morgan set about working on the concert with a family friend, actor Jeffrey Dench, after her second cousin released a CD of Mr Shaw’s music earlier in the year.
She said: “It was quite moving. He was born 100 years before me and it’s meant I’ve got to know his music and his life. The night was dedicated to his life and work. His music was really lovely and I have learnt a lot of things about him.
“He was very involved in London life and knew many composers at the time. He was really dedicated to performing music throughout England. He brought together a lot of important church music that we are singing now.”
In the concert Miss Bonner-Morgan sang Mr Shaw’s songs with Mr Dench, brother to world-famous actress Judi Dench, who read Shakespeare and extracts from Mr Shaw’s autobiography.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 9 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
Mr Shaw was born in London in 1875 and died in Southwold in 1958. Miss Bonner-Morgan’s debut album, Never Mind the Rain, is available to buy.