Stowmarket: Teenager wins woodwork award
A TEENAGER has received special recognition by winning first prize at a national competition for woodwork.
Ryan Barker, 17, of Middlefield Drive, Great Finborough, near Stowmarket, attended the Wizardry in Wood competition in London where he came first in the junior contest with his mulberry hollow.
His father, Des, said he expected Ryan just to turn up and take part. But he was thrilled when he found out he had won.
Ryan started woodturning two years ago after his late grandfather, Bob, got him to join the Bury St Edmunds Woodturning Club.
In the competition he also competed against professional wood-workers in several other categories.
You may also want to watch:
A candlestick he made won a commissioning competition. Ryan will have a page dedicated to him in a book documenting the candlestick winners over the years.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 7 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 Wanted man arrested in Suffolk village